- Bollen (1989, p. 17) presents a panel model of political democracy and industrialization in 75
countries. Bollen & Arminger (1991) used the same model in their discussion of observational
- The variables in the model are
- y1 is the freedom of press in 1960.
- y2 is the freedom of political opposition in 1960.
- y3 is the fairness of elections in 1960.
- y4 is the effectiveness of legislature in 1960.
- y5 is the freedom of press in 1965.
- y6 is the freedom of political opposition in 1965.
- y7 is the fairness of elections in 1965.
- y8 is the effectiveness of legislature in 1965.
- x9 is the GNP per capita in 1960.
- x10 is the energy consumption per capita in 1960.
- x11 is the percentage of labor force in industry in 1960.
- The corresponding data are provided in the file polidem.psf
in the OBSRESEX subfolder. The first portion of polidem.psf
is shown in the following PSF
The model in Bollen (1989) suggests that x9, x10 and x11 are indicators of the latent variable Industrialization (Indus); y1, y2, y3 and y4 are indicators of the latent variable Democracy in 1960 (Dem60) and y5, y6, y7 and y8 are indicators of the latent variable Democracy in 1965 (Dem65). The model also suggest that Democracy in 1965 is determined by Industrialization and Democracy in 1960 and that Industrialization is an antecedent of Democracy in 1960. A path diagram of this model is shown below.
- Select the New
option from the File
menu to load the New
- Select the Syntax Only option in the New list box as shown below
to open the blank SYNTAX1 text editor window.
- Select the Save option from the File menu to load the Save As dialog box.
- Select SIMPLIS Syntax (*.spl) from the Save as type drop-down list box.
- Type the file name ba1b.spl in the File name string field to produce the following Save As dialog box.
- Click on the Save button to open the text editor window for ba1b.spl.
- Enter the following commands in the text editor window for ba1b.spl.
- Line 1 specifies a title.
- Line 2 specifies the data file to be used.
- Line 3 specifies labels for the 3 latent variables.
- Lines 4 to 19 specify the LISREL model.
- Line 20 requests the latent variable scores to be written into a new PSF, namely POLIDEMnew.PSF.
- Line 21 requests the observational residuals to be written to the file POLIDEMnew.PSF.
- Line 22 requests a path diagram for the LISREL model.
- Line 23 indicates that no more SIMPLIS commands are to be processed.
- Click on the Run LISREL toobar icon to produce the following PTH window
The latent variable scores and the observational residuals are written to the file POLIDEMnew.PSF. We access this file as follows.
- Select the Open
option from the File
menu to load the Open
- Select the PRELIS
Data (*.psf) option in the Files
of type drop-down list box.
- Browse for the file POLIDEMnew.psf
in the OBSRESEX subfolder and select it.
- Click on the Open button to open POLIDEMnew.psf
in a PSF
window to view the latent variable scores and observational residuals as shown below.