The student edition of HLM 7 can be downloaded
from this page.
Please print this page before downloading the student edition, as the restrictions and other useful information concerning the program are given here. Also note that no technical support is provided for the student edition and that no serial number is required during installation.
The student edition of
HLM 7 is available as a single, self-extracting executable
- Save HLM7StudentSetup.exe to the desktop or a USB
- Run HLM7StudentSetup.exe from the Windows Start
- Default installation will be to a new folder "C:\Program
Files\HLM7Student\". You may change the name and
location of this folder.
- After successful installation the downloaded file HLM7StudentSetup.exe
may be deleted.
The student edition
includes the following:
- All the examples distributed with the full HLM 7 edition.
These examples may be run with the student edition.
- The HLM 7 help file.
- A PDF copy of the HLM 7 manual.
The student edition
can run all the analyses the full edition can in terms of
models selected, statistical options and output. Restrictions
are, however, placed on the data used and the size of the
model selected. The following restrictions apply in this edition:
- The STAT/Transfer utility used for the importation of
data is not included. The student edition will only accept
ASCII, SYSTAT, SPSS for Windows or SAS transport data files.
Note that SPSS data files created with SPSS 21
or earlier can be used with the student edition.
- For a level-3 model, the maximum number of observations
that may be used at levels 1, 2 and 3 is approximately 8000,
1700 and 60, respectively. Note that the restriction applies
to observations in the case of the level-2 file, for example,
and not to the actual number of level-2 units to be included
in the analysis.
- For a level-2 model, the maximum number of observations
at the two levels is 8000 at level-1 and 350 at level-2
of the hierarchy.
- No more than
5 effects may be included in any HLM equation at any level
of the model, and the grand total of effects can not be
25 or higher.
When these limitations
are exceeded, an appropriate error message will automatically
For more information
on how to set up these models and how to interpret the output,
please see the Help file that comes with the program and the